Arrival Time Arrive no earlier than ten minutes prior to the beginning of class. This will prevent children from becoming restless before class starts and keep them from becoming tired before class is over.
Dress Dress comfortably as you will be sitting on the floor for activities. If your child is in the Village class, bring a towel or small blanket for your child for the floor activities. Students and adults participate in socks or bare feet. Children learn through their senses and the bottoms of the feet are especially sensitive. Bare feet will allow your child to experience more sensory input during class.
Family Participation Children are to be accompanied by a parent or caregiver who actively participates with the child. This is a special time for you and your child. You are the role model for your child. When you are enthusiastic and actively engaged in the activities, your child will model this behavior. We strive to build a warm community in the Kindermusik classroom and encourage “grown up” chat among the parents before and after class. During class we keep this “grown up” chat to a minimum so that all parents are able to focus on their child and fully participate with him/her.
Child Participation Most children adore music and love to dance, sing and play musical instruments. A group music experience may be new to your child and he/she may be shy in the group. That is okay! Some children are naturally hesitant and some become over-stimulated in a group. You may see a completely different child at home as you share your Kindermusik activities there. That is normal and to be expected as home is where children are the most comfortable. Much of what a child sees and hears in class will be demonstrated at home. It is the norm for many children to attend four or five classes before they begin to be comfortable and participate. Many spend the first few classes observing and that is okay! As long as your child is in the classroom and observing, he/she is learning! Keep in mind that Kindermusik is about process, not performance.
Classroom Behavior We ask that all parents/caregivers be sensitive to the safety and enjoyment of all in the class. If your child begins to explore a behavior that is a danger to himself/herself or others in the class, such as running or throwing an instrument, we ask that you help your child refocus his/her energy by asking him/her to use walking feet or hold on tightly to the instrument. Should your child become disruptive (crying, screaming it is normal and happens to all of us!), please quietly and promptly take your child outside the classroom and set appropriate boundaries. It is difficult to reason with a child during class with all the distractions. Stepping out of the classroom and talking to your child in private without the distractions generally works best. Should your child become curious about the stereo, instruments and props on the counter, or the storage cabinet, please redirect him/her. If your child is a “wanderer”, please follow him/her to redirect or participate where he/she is.
Un-enrolled Siblings We are unable to accommodate un-enrolled siblings unless they are young enough to be content in a stroller or infant carrier. Special circumstances and emergencies will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please do not leave unattended children in the hallway.
Visitors Adult visitors such as grandparents are welcome anytime. If you would like to bring a friend and their child for a class preview, please call 361-816-3706 to schedule the visit. This will ensure that the class does not get overbooked.
Toys, Snacks & Drinks Please leave toys, snacks, drinks, bottles, sippy cups, and pacifiers at home or in the car. No food or drink is allowed in the Kindermusik classroom.
Teacher Absences In the event your educator must cancel a class due to illness or emergency, you will be notified by email. Please acknowledge the email so it reduces the number of phone calls that need to be made. If the email is not acknowledged, a phone call will be made. If you cannot be reached, a voice message will be left. Please check your messages before leaving for class each week.
Make-up Classes In the event your educator must cancel a class, the class will be made up by extending the semester.
Attendance Please make every effort to attend class regularly. This makes a significant difference in your child’s comfort with the group.
Home Materials Your child will benefit from the use of the Kindermusik home materials. Using the home materials during the week will make a significant difference in your child’s level of comfort and participation in class.
- A completed registration form and payment is required to enroll a child and hold a child’s space in class.
- Payment can be made in full or in installments. When paying for the entire semester at registration, a $10 discount will be applied. Installment payments include a registration/materials fee paid at the time of registration, 1⁄2 of tuition paid by the first class, and the remaining 1⁄2 of tuition paid a month later. If you need an alternate payment plan, please call 361-816-3706 to discuss this.
- If a class is canceled due to insufficient enrollment, the entire payment will be refunded.
- Enrollment after the semester begins is accepted depending on availability. Tuition will be prorated and materials are paid in full.
- A $10 discount is applied if all fees are paid in full at the time of registration.
- If you enroll more than one child (immediate family/siblings), a $25 discount is applied to the tuition for the second child.
- If registering more than one child (immediate family/siblings) in the same class, an additional discount can be taken if the second child orders a sibling kit instead of a second full set of home materials. Call 361-816-3706 to discuss this discount.
- Earn a $5 tuition discount by referring a friend to Kindermusik. To earn this discount the friend must register for a class.
- Discounts can be combined!
Refunds No refunds for missed classes as your tuition payment reserves your spot for the entire semester.
Wait List If a class is full, inquire about the wait list. Sometimes a family’s schedule changes and they move to a different class or a family moves out of town opening a spot for a new student. If I am aware of your interest in the class, I will contact you to offer the spot to your child.